The holidays are here! Many of you will hang lights on your homes to celebrate the season. Some may question if you can hang lights on your Leafguard brand gutters, and the answer is yes.
Leafguard Gutter Benefits
Our seamless one-piece design is stronger and more durable than any other gutter system. With Leafguard, quality and durability are built-in. And since they are so strong, you will have no issues with the added weight of holiday lights hanging from your Leafguard gutters.
Leafguard gutters are made from aluminum, 20% thicker than the industry standard, and downspouts are 30% larger than our competitors. The gutters are supported every two feet, twice the industry standard, ensuring protection against the harshest weather conditions. Hanging your lights from a Leafguard gutter will ensure that all will see them in your neighborhood.
Leafguard works on all roof pitches and types. Unlike gutter add-ons or standard covers, Leafguard is mounted away from your roof shingles, so there is no chance of damage to your roof and no worries about voiding any roof warranties. If you follow the tips below and use plastic clips, you will have no problems with your Leafguard warranty.
All gutters carry water away from your home, but only Leafguard does it with a unique, patented one-piece debris-shedding design that is better than any other gutter system on the market today. Leafguard gutters work on a simple but powerful scientific principle known as liquid adhesion. This allows rainwater to travel around the hood and into the gutter while deflecting leaves and other debris never to clog*.
Light Clip Options for your Gutters
There are widely different varieties of clips to use that are designed for gutters. Plastic clips are recommended, so they don't scratch the finish and void your warranty. You can use S clips that merely hang off the crimped edge of the gutter, then lay the lighting wire in the bottom part of the S hook. This will give you a beautiful, swagged look. These clips can be used for either mini lights or C7 or C9 bulb strands.
You can also use a plastic clip that slides over the front of the crimp and into the trough of the system. Many of these clips have a top piece that you slide the bulb portion of the light into for a more uniform, standing effect. Again, these can be used for mini lights, C7 or C9 bulb strands.
Many folks like the icicle-style lights, which can be hung similarly. If you have a single strand where the icicle pieces hang off, the S-style clips make it very easy to hang. If you have a looped style of icicle lights, you can use either of the clip types mentioned earlier, though the ones that go over both sides of the crimped edge will often give you a more secure hold since the S clips can slide easier.
These clips are available at your local hardware or home improvement store. You can also order them from an online retailer. You won't have any problem finding plastic clips that work with your Leafguard system.
Key Points for Hanging Lights
- Use plastic light clips or hangers.
- Hang your usual number of lights from the gutter. Leafguard's gutter brackets are strong enough to handle the extra weight of the light strands.
- Use electrical tape on open sockets of the light strands to protect them from the elements.
- Hang lights with the male socket end closest to the outlet or extension cord. Plug the following string into the first string to continue across the surface. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on how many strings of lights can be plugged together, and don't exceed that number.
- Be very careful if climbing a ladder to hang your lights. Make sure the ladder is placed on a level surface and a helper holds it while you are on it.
Remember not to:
- Hang lights from the gutter's top portion (hood). This will cause your gutters to work differently than intended.
- Hide the wires inside the gutter, especially the plug portion. This can block the gutter and cause clogging.
- Use metal hangers. This will void your warranty on the finish.
- Use tape to keep the hangers in place. This will also void your warranty on the finish.
So hang your lights and enjoy a bright holiday. Have a safe, healthy, and happy Holiday Season from your friends at Leafguard.
*Guaranteed not to clog for as long as you own your home, or we will clean your gutters for free.